|St John's Social Justice Group|
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead James 2:26
The St John’s Social Justice Group started in late 2006 as an advocacy group for social justice issues. We currently have a handful of dedicated members who raise awareness of various issues. We have concentrated our efforts on those people suffering in both third world countries and here within Australia.
We have spoken up in front of the Masses, to politicians and worked with various other groups to support issues we share concerns with, including being part of a group that has co-written a report to the United Nations on the Northern Territory Intervention.
We have also helped create the Mitcham Mullum Parish Garden and participated in various forms of action including:
• Stand Up Against Poverty
• Operation Christmas Child
• Fairtrade Fortnight
• Showing of movies e.g. “Bran Nu Dae” and “Samson and Delilah”
• Becoming a custodian of an Aboriginal “Message Stick”
• Co hosting a stall at the Whitehorse Spring Festival with the Combined Churches SJG- Whitehorse
• Involved students of both Primary schools in National Sorry Day at Whitehorse Council
• MakePovertyHistory, MakeIndigenousPovertyHistory
• NAIDOC week
• Refugee and Migrant Sunday
• Meet quarterly with the Combined Churches Social Justice Group
• Invite Special Guests to talk, Petition, Letter writing campaigns and more.
If you are passionate about the types of issues we support and would like to put your faith into action, new members are warmly welcome.
|Melanie Hosie||0422 136 155|